And here is yet another post/rant on vaccines and masks……it must be Friday 😊!
Dr. Fauci is now saying that if you live in certain communities with low vaccination rates, you should consider wearing a mask even if you are fully vaccinated against COVID 19. There are so many variables associated with that suggestion, including:
- What rate is too low?
- How do you find out what the rate is in each state? The overall fully vaccinated rate in Washington state is just over 50%. Is that high enough?
- Does the fully vaccinated rate vary by county? In Washington state the rate varies from a high of 70% (San Juan County) to a low of 24% (Garfield County – a very rural county in E. Washington)
- Does the fully vaccinated rate vary within a given county? In King County, the rates varies from over 90% on Vashon Island to just 66% in Federal Way (near where we live)
- What about tourism? This is tourist season so lots of people are flocking into Puget Sound. Are they vaccinated? Who knows!
- What about commuters?
- And the list of variables goes on….
This is as the Delta variant is having a field day among unvaccinated people which increases the likelihood that Delta or a new variant will become resistant to our current vaccines. We already know from Israel’s experience that the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine dropped to as low as 64% against Delta., but the good news is that the vaccine still prevented severe illness and death.
President Biden is giving yet another push to promote voluntary immunizations as the patriotic thing to do.
Kathleen Sebelius, the former HHS Secretary under President Obama, says the Administration should be encouraging schools and businesses to REQUIRE the vaccine.
I’m trying to restrain myself, but I’ve kind of had it. You know, we’re going to tiptoe around mandates. It’s like, come on. I’m kind of over that. I want to make sure the people I deal with don’t have it so I don’t transmit it to my granddaughter.Kathleen Sebelius, former HHS Secretary and former Governor of Kansas
I’m on Team Kathleen! I kind of think we are in a ‘while Rome burns’ moment with the delta variant and ongoing vaccine resistance.
Policies (such as a vaccine mandates/requirements) can be the shortest distance to behavior change (such as getting vaccinated). We have got to take the politics out of this one. COVID 19 vaccine doesn’t care if you are a Republican or a Democrat and neither does COVID 19.
See you on Monday!
Allene (who remains masked indoors)