Louise Penny, that is!
My fellow Louise lovers and I just downloaded her latest book, The Madness of Crowds. She releases a book about once a year, usually in late summer, and we are always ready to pounce. We love Armand Gamache, the other established characters, and the Canadian settings (Montreal and the fictional Three Pines).
Her last book, All the Devils are Here, inspired us to establish our very small mystery book club last October. We are all avid readers of mystery and a mystery book club made sense to us. We usually zoom every week to discuss a new book – we are not only avid readers, but we are also fast readers 😊.
Over the past year, we have read several series. We like mystery series that keep many of the same characters throughout.
So far, we have read (and I may have forgotten some along the way):
- We started with the Tracy Crosswhite series by Robert Dugoni. It is set in Seattle and we have gotten to like Tracy and her crew.
- We then dabbled in the Ellie Kline series by Mary Stone, but it was too brutal for us
- We like Nordic noir and loved the Maria Kallio books by Leena Lehtolainan –Maria is an attorney/police officer and the mysteries are set in Finland. We wish there were more…
- Again back to Seattle, we like the JP Beaumont books by JA Jance – when a new one is released we put it in the queue
- I think our favorite series so far is the Antoine Verlaque and Marine Bonnet Provencal Mysteries by M.L. Longworth– we can’t wait for her next book! The series is set in Aix en Provence. The character development is well done and the food and wine descriptions are amazing.
- We have done a few ‘stand alone’ books – we just finished the President’s Daughter by Bill Clinton and James Patterson. It was a quick read, entertaining, and completely implausible.
- Our next series is the Gabriel Allon books by Daniel Silva. These are fast paced spy thrillers with great characters. I have read the later ones as has one of our members. We are all starting from the beginning, the Kill Artist.
For this week, we get to savor the ongoing story of Armand Gamache and the other residents of Three Pines. Our thanks to Louise Penny for never letting us down! The good news is that she is releasing a book with Hilary Clinton in October, State of Terror, so we don’t have to wait too long 😊.
And in closing, here are some word’s of wisdom from Louise:
“Don’t believe everything you think.”Louise Penny, A Great Reckoning